Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My own family photos and engagement photos! McKinney, TX & Colorado Springs, CO

Hi again!  Since I am my own most regular client, I will be sharing some of the makeup I've done on myself for various photo shoots! :)

(Picture heavy post)
First off, we have my engagement photos from waaaaay back in December 2008!!!  How in the freaking crap has it been that long?  I swear I was 18 last year....... anyhow, now that I feel old and depressed....

Our engagement photos are a great showcase as to how your makeup when done by a professional should translate to any lighting--indoor, outdoor, low light, etc.  They were taken in McKinney, TX!

One of my biggest tips besides getting your makeup done by a professional for any photoshoot is to wear COLOR!!  I know that jeans or khakis and white tops for everyone looks clean and crisp, but wearing a white top will actually bounce light off the shirt to your face, leading to a lot of washing out.  TJ's shirt is a bone color, which is borderline but still better than stark white.  If you do want to wear a white shirt, try to break it up with some color.  Layer a colored tank under a white button up or cardigan, a colorful scarf... something to interrupt the white and give some color back to your beautiful face!  Later on in my photos you will see what white does to my face!



DTX Weddings
Oh man, how cute were we?!  These are shots inside a hotel room of the hotel/ballroom where we got hitched!  The lighting was pretty low, and mostly just an overhead room light, but my makeup held up to the less than stellar lighting!


DTX Weddings
I look so young!  Le sigh.  What is with TJ?


DTX Weddings
Dorks, such dorks.


DTX Weddings
This was in a stairwell with really terrible lighting, but these pictures came out great!


DTX Weddings
Outdoor light from inside.  My retinas were BURNING that's why we were laughing so hard!  But another example of why a good makeup job can make a huge difference in photos; outdoor lighting--especially direct sunlight--can really wash you out.


DTX Weddings
Outdoor in the square. So here is my example of white in photos.  Not only are we battling winter outdoor light which is SUPER bright, but white shirts!  In comparison with my other photos, you can see how the white truly does reflect and wash out your face.  Fortunately, if you have your makeup done by someone who knows what they are doing they can counteract some of that reflection and washing out with the right products and application.





Next up are last year's family photos.  We had an unseasonably warm day in November in Colorado Springs when we had our photos done.  I won't get into the details about how I bought a groupon reservered an appointment and the girl totally forgot and "wrote it in the wrong place" so she was double booked and we only had 15 minutes........  Can you tell I'm still annoyed?  I really wanted to get them done, since TJ would be gone for 3 months of training and then a deployment to Afghanistan (which, thank God, the deployment ended up getting cancelled!!!)

Anyway, we took these photos in a park near the Air Force Academy.  I made them into Christmas cards to send to family and friends!  As much as the photoshoot sucked, we did get some great pictures.


Omg how cute are my furbabies?!  I got Linguine (my little guy) when TJ went off for boot camp for the Air Force.  Coda came after I moved to Colorado and Linguine was clinically depressed so he needed a brother.  They're my kids :)


I incorporated tones of burgundy and plum into my eye makeup to pick up the tones in the dress.  I don't always match makeup, but I do try to coordinate.


Going a bit heavier on the eyeshadow than normal, when applied correctly, will enhance your eyes and their shape and bring attention to them in photos.


Plum just does a simply amazing job of enhancing brown eyes!


I hope you enjoyed this post and it gave you some ideas, hints, tips, and tricks for your engagements and family photos!  I'll be posting our family photos from this year hopefully soon--we did them on the beach!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment